Friday 12 November 2010

1950's photoshoot

Hey,

So I decided it'd be sensible to show you my work chronologically each decade in a different post. So this is my first one so we are starting with the 1950's. For my 1950's inspiration I choose a photo shoot by Norman Parkinson. It is titled "university life" and it really attracted my attention as most of the 1950 photographs looked really posed and this one was one that had movement and interaction. The photo below is one of the inspiring photos.  

For my own photoshoot I knew I wanted to gain the same feeling so the location and clothing was very important. I chose a place that had big impressive buildings much the same as the university featured in this shoot (Wells Cathedral). The clothing I made very 1950's with a genuine 1950's dress very similar to the one in this photo to the left. It was also important to make the shoots very elegant and classy so the poses are lady like and structured as well as the actual model looking classy.

These are two of my 1950 photos that I am using in my A-level work. I am trying to use similar techniques  but these photo's are actually digital as I wasn't sure whether the lighting would work for film but I have taken film photo's for the 1950's but they will be used for my final piece. I used black and white photography as most of the vogue photo's were black and white in this time. This photo to the left features the genuine 1950's dress. I thought it was beautiful and really helped make the photos look authentic. From the Norman Parkinson photoshoot I really liked how he mixed photos of casual day wear with classier evening wear. This is what I tried to do in my own
photoshoot which is what you can see with these two photos the right one is a casual day wear where as the above photo is the more evening wear. I am really pleased with the outcome of my photoshoot as I believe it gives the right feel and is easily identifiable as the 1950's.


Beth
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment